I don't understand the need to go all political in your Facebook posts; but after reading one in particular, this blog post was born. You see, this particular Facebook post was written by a former school-mate who I haven't seen in decades. So....she posts her story about her tight financial situation, why that is, and what is wrong with the candidate that she won't be voting for (because you know its always the President's fault). Anywho, the part that really gets me is this: "Luckily my insurance covered my tubal ligation because I cannot afford a third child and I feel that is very responsible of me...under 'the other administration', this choice would have been taken away from me." Now...deep breath, count to ten, another deep breath, eleven, twelve.....Bless her heart.
Ok, I won't go into my politics...most of you could guess them easily. But this is where this train of thought ended up. We, and I do mean we, you, me, your neighbor, all of us are not doing our job. Hear me out.
As of the last couple of years, I have become quite fond of calling/emailing companies when something is not right or is absolutely terrific. Whether a part is missing or quit working on a toy, the sole prematurely came out of a shoe, the service was despicable in a restaurant....or, to thank them for an amazing stroller that even works on sand ;). I have been amazed and pleasantly surprised at my results. At least 80% of those companies respond excellently, in my opinion. They value my concern or appreciation. Many times they try to resolve a sticky situation, or take a detailed account of my input. Either way, I feel heard and will continue business with those companies. The other 20% of the time, I have a choice to make. Do I continue business with a company that irritates me, or do I choose another route? It is my choice to make and live with.
And so....we the people of the United States, we ARE the government. We decide what happens in our towns, states, country. Oh no, you disagree...in this day & age we don't make a difference? Well, you're sort of right...we don't make a difference because we don't try. How many phone calls or emails have you or I sent lately to the mayor, senator, governor, even your HOA??? Hmmm? You don't have time...well then you are not allowed to complain. You haven't tried. What if we all flooded our representatives offices with the things that really mattered to us? What if we went to meet with them? Sure, they could tell you no, or write off your voice or your letter as meaningless...and guess what...YOU CAN FIRE THEM! You can choose another route. Our fantastic forefathers, and probably a few foremothers behind them, came up with a great system to check our representatives performance every few years. Thank you to that!
Think of the teachers who were on strike while hundreds of students were stuck at home. The teachers were heard because they tried to be. What if before that strike, every parent with a concern had written a letter stating their disapproval and what changes they expect for their children? (and because their tax dollars are paying for it) Would it have changed the outcome? (No, I'm not picking on teachers for pete's sake...just using a current example, geez.)
Now, it takes a majority in this country and we have to believe that, that is best for our country. Your "party" won't win them all and that is ok. But at least make your voice heard to those that matter...not Facebook friends. Discussion is wonderful, debate is great fun (if you leave the emotions behind), but throwing your complaints out because of a recent political ad is ridiculous...keep that nonsense to yourself.
Final thoughts: Being responsible does not equal your insurance paying for your tubal ligation. In case it didn't sink in during a long Catholic education, there are other ways to prevent pregnancy, how about one that starts with A and ends with bstinence...just sayin'. Or what about my countless friends who journaled with scientific precision their daily temperatures and various other details to know just the right time to conceive...that could be used just as well to not conceive and guess what...it would be FREE! to you, to me, to your neighbor (our premiums rise too you know). Another deep breath....
So, as the annoying commercials flood our screens, people post signs, mailboxes are deluged with "information", decide what you think is best and go vote. That is your job as part of this country. Keep in mind that the media, in any form, is like the old human chain game. Go ahead, get some friends, 20 lets say. You tell someone something, make sure it floats from person to person, and let person #20 tell you what they heard that you said. I thought so. Oh wait, but you heard it directly from that candidates mouth in a 5 second soundbite. I mean really folks, come on. Watch the debates, read articles from both sides and engage in healthy, non emotional debates. And vote!

Be heard by those that represent you, it does matter. I promise to make an effort, too, and I'll keep you updated.
M
This blog is paid for by the gentlemen who chose to make me his wife, the bearer of his children, and offered to support me no matter what I post on the internet. God bless him! Have I mentioned I'm a stay-at-home mom who doesn't "work" at all, so how could I really have a voice anyway.....politics :)
Totes agree. Nothing is worse than emotional politics. I have the UTMOST respect for my aunt and cousin who differ from me greatly politically, but we have NEVER not gotten along (in fact they are probably my closest relatives on that side...Matt too!) because of politics because they are so good at keeping arguments logical and free from passion. There's a famous Aristotle quote: "the law is reason free from passion". I think politics needs to be as well! Love you :)
ReplyDelete