The Finale to Princess Dance Camp
Ready for the mental picture....Racing to make it to Grace's dance performance, the finale of her Princess Dance Camp which she adored every minute of. As I'm racing, I look in the rear view mirror and Will has fallen asleep **Good, he won't be frustrated at having to be still at this 30 minute performance**. Keep driving, 10 mph over the speed limit hoping a cop won't be around, better yet, hoping he is and will gladly offer me a high speed police escort to the performance. Check the rear view mirror again, Jack has fallen asleep. Dun, dun, duuuunnnnn...**OMG, how did I not know he was falling asleep, I'm an idiot. Now he won't take a nap, is going to be irritated at waking up to go into a sit still and be quiet for 30 minutes performance..**.anxiety, and frustration. Keep driving and I make it there at 11:29. Now, the Nerinx girl attitude kicks in: Ok, I got this: carry 2 sleeping boys into a performance, don't forget the camera, small noiseless car for Jack to appease him (hopefully), binky and toy for Will, ok, GO. Grab Will, thank God he's still in the infant seat and he can stay asleep (although the damn thing ways like 30 lbs), walk around the car...put him down. Reach in, unbuckle and maneuver a sleeping 3000 lb toddler who is drooling on my once clean shirt (who are we kidding, it was only clean until I walked out of my bedroom this morning). Ok. Now, put the camera case over my neck, shut the door, lock it, reach down and hook Will with the Right arm and we are walking...I got this. I am Mom hear me roar. ** I rock, just look at me for pete's sake. ** Get inside, that was an effort in itself, and walk into the room where 50 people are watching me. **I rock just turned into: yes, I know, I'm a disheveled mess who can't hardly get it together so why don't you look the other way all you people with 5 guests to help you with your 2 kids.**...Why, oh why, is the door to these things always where everyone will see you when you walk in! I set Will down, set Jack down, and ready the camera. And then, the ballerinas shuffle in. Adrenaline is still flowing. Grace sees us and smiles big!
She's glad we are there, I'm glad we are there. But not until about half way through, when the adrenaline goes down, and my mind gets back to the real point of the moment **I don't care if I look a mess, and am the only mom contorting my body to get the perfect shot of my ballerina, bc it will matter to her, and her dad, and grandparents, etc...
So, not until then, did I get this picture...
and yes, seeing that smile made the whole morning worth every crazy emotion...if you know Grace, you know that, that is a genuine smile filled with pride for her accomplishments at dance camp and gratitude that we are there to see it. I swell with the feeling of "fields"...we did it. My flock pulled off another amazing feat. So, I leave you with 2 thoughts for the day.
1. While it took about an hour for that scenario to unravel, I experienced a slew of emotions and am tired just writing it again...breathe and give the toddlers of the world a break when they are having their moment of flailing emotion bc wow that is exhausting.
2. And when you ask a mom/dad what they did that morning and they say, "oh we went to Grace's dance performance" and you think, oh that sounds sweet, short and easy, she probably also ran by starbucks for coffee after hitting tennis balls at the club...rethink. For all you parents out there, I know we all have these moments, lots of them and for the most part they go unrecognized. But, you remember them, for eternity, and they matter tremendously for they shaped you and your kids and what can be more important than that.
And after all that, I earned a good nap! And you
non-parents of young kids just
thought I meant I got the nap...Ha!
Why are my children sleeping on the floor and not in their comfy beds...who knows and who cares, they are asleep!
The End
How adorable. I love it! You are a fantastic mother and I am proud of you for getting there and not forgetting the camera (as I would have done - oh wait, pregnancy brain goes away, right???)
ReplyDeleteLove you, and love Gracielocks the ballerina!