So, this flock will soon be moved to greener pastures or will they be.... You see, it will be a bigger pasture, a new shade of green but can green be greener? In walking through our crowded back porch that is filled with a fantastic array of colorful ride on toys, an easel, boxes upon boxes for packing and oh, I think I still see furniture under there....my husband said "I won't miss that door" pointing to the squeaky old storm door that graciously separates the outside from in. It sure is squeaky, paint chipped off, no handle (which doesn't matter since it hangs crooked and you can just open it by grabbing the side of the door), and style...well at one time I feel sure it was stylish. Who would miss that anyway? I think I will. That is one great door. When we open it, we throw it open and walk through, knowing it will shut behind us. And when it slams shut with an extra last bounce for good measure, I know, even from the kitchen, that someone is either coming or going. I know that a little one has escaped to explore the wonders of our back yard. Or, an amazed toddler is running in to show me their latest entomological discovery. On occasion, the wind catches it and shuts it with such vehemence that I know a thunderstorm will shortly pass over. I don't have to remember its there, or give it any care, and it continues to provide me with invaluable service. Now that I'm thinking about it, I bet there are a lot of squeaky doors in my past, each with their own story and importance. Don't you have a couple? In the end, there will soon be a new door, on a new porch, in our new pasture. But, at least in my opinion, we will sure miss that door!
No comments:
Post a Comment