picadilly

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Never.

How old is too old to ____? Hmmm... My first answer is NEVER. But now I'm thinking of all the things you'll say to me and is that really everybody's answer? I think so...Here goes.

When am I too old to have another baby (of course I'm having more, duh, how many??, hmmm, read this post and let me know), When are you too old to take up a new sport, to change your career, to start exercising, to make a new friend, to change your outlook?

The answer: Never.

Most of the time, the reason we don't is because it requires a lot of energy to do so, whatever it is. Routines are comfortable, they have boundaries that feel safe, they require no energy to anticipate, and most of the time are great. But sometimes, change or chance knocks on our door. You can sometimes pretend you don't hear it but you know its there. And unlike other guests, they never leave. You may continue your routine and walk past them on your way out the door, but they will follow you, waiting for you to answer them. Often times what we want is outside of our routine. That can be overwhelming, scary, frustrating and other times a pleasant challenge. We may think we know the best time to answer, on our schedule of course, and other times, God intervenes- opens the door and blocks it with Mr. Chance or Mrs. Change and you have to get through them to get out the door.

Other things can stand at your door, too, and meddle in your business as if they offer chance or change, but they don't. If it doesn't feel right, and I mean "feel" right, not feel good or feel bad, but when you "know" somethings not right, then brush that mess aside and keep going...usually it will leave as soon as it came. But real, genuine chance and change, they are there for the long haul.

Now, does that mean when I'm 65 I should have another baby...well, I don't think that seems right. Do I think it possible that if a baby needed my care at age 65, I'd give it my all? absolutely. Can a 92 year old start an exercise program, absolutely. Can a 16 year old start a company, absolutely. It all requires energy, time, and perseverance. All are at our disposal at any time, sometimes harder to come by, but they are there.

Try. After all, the only real failure is not trying, right? And if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Dust those pants off and get out there. If you really want it, or its being forced upon you, then eat a healthy meal, get some sleep, and get after it, day after day.

So, no, I'm not too old for another sweet baby, how about two more? Who knows, we'll cross that bridge later! Now, what bridge are you looking forward to? A change of routine, a change of attitude, a chance to start something new or revisit something old? Start heading that way, maybe we'll cross at the same time  :)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment