picadilly

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Slow Down and Smell the Asphalt!

 This is a quick one-
but a good one!
 (according to me anyway ;) . 


You know when you're driving down the road and a lane is blocked off, there are trucks everywhere, guys with SLOW signs...uhhh.

That is exactly what I used to think, too. But now, I take that route on purpose, everyday that I take Jack to school. We roll the windows down to hear the sounds, and smell the fresh asphalt. We wave to all the workers and talk about their important jobs. Its exciting.

And today! Well, the chaos came to us! AWESOME! We got home from school and an excavator is behind our house working on the lake, dump trucks being filled by a backhoe and carting dirt down the street, cement mixers rolling by...totally unbelievable. We ate lunch outside, with dirty hands, and they loved it.

Jack got out his heavy equipment and went to work on our poor newly planted tree...but I admit, that fresh dirt is pretty tempting to the owner of a new excavator. So, I told him to have at it. Pretty soon, Will joined in, and I saw a vision of laundry stains and pushed back nap times, sigh...no, no...I saw lots of fun, good memories and a non-routine day. Perfect.

So if you have to go "slow" today, or drive around machines and workers that are "in the way", have a little soft spot knowing those same nuisances made Jack's day and probably a lot of other little ones, too!

"If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it,
 change the way you think about it."  Mary Engelbreit

Thanks Mary, thats a good one to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment