Use your imagination....
Grace and Jack, up since 6:30, barely able to contain their excitement over Will's birthday and the knowledge that cake and ice cream will be part of their day! They wait as patiently as they can for any sign that will has awakened...wait....they hear him. "Shh, stop, calm down, let me get my camera, and let him wake up slowly" I say. Ha! They barge into his room, bouncing, cheering, squealing Happy Birthday greetings, and telling him about the presents on the mantel and balloons all over the floor and cake on the table and that our friends are coming to celebrate and and ....
Will's eyes are HUGE, watching Jack and Grace, looking at me to be sure the sky isn't falling, looking back at them. I snap my "first birthday morning picture". We are excited; but Will, well Will is thinking "what's a birthday?". I pick him up and head out of his room. He watches the big kids run out wildly and he spots the dozens of balloons everywhere. He pushes away from me
to get down and join the fun...never smiling, still with big eyes, and constantly keeping an eye on me to be sure life was still sort of normal. But even though I couldn't coax a smile out of that sweet boy, he had a ball!
We ate pumpkin pancakes (mom's choice this time around) and sang Happy Birthday! And then opened presents and finished decorating for the party!
I hid candy in some of the balloons and while J & G tried their hardest, they just couldn't pop it!
But they were very successful in opening Will's presents for him and instructing him
on how to operate his new toys!
now, on to decorating...
There was the wall of balloons to hang,
favor packets to stuff with
M&M's,
pom poms to dangle from the archways
and birthday outfits to
put on!
(>>>fast forwarding through the naps and such, time to party!)
Our terrific friends arrive, all with
extra big smiles and happy greetings for Will! He is constantly
checking with Trent and me to be sure this attention is purposely aimed
at him and if all is ok...it is now roughly 4 o'clock, still no smiles...still
complete bewilderment. The kids all scurry and get busy playing:
trucks, dress up, trains, outside, inside....everywhere. And now, after Will consumes a
true full slice of pizza (must be a growth spurt), it is that time!!!!
CAKE!!!! Kids scramble for chairs...and we sing...
 |
| "Mom, why are they all looking at me?" |
 |
| Encouraging a taste of a sugary treat...rare play in my book ;) |
 |
| and the verdict is..... |
 |
| I think it "went over" well! |
 |
| Now how do I get this off my hands? |
|
|
|
 |
| And you know the big kids loved it! |
After all that excitement, everyone went back to playing and conversing. For not having a clue about what this day had in store for him, Will was a great sport! He joined right in all the festivities and played the role well. And finally, finally! after he had a minute to himself...
all other parties distracted... I catch this....
Fields.... (for me at least)....my baby is happy, he had a good day, and now knows
its a happy day about him....perfect. I will treasure this picture for decades.
And how he stayed this clean with all that cake mess...no idea!
My floor, however, didn't fare so well :)
Happy Birthday Will!
I'll love you Forever. I'll like you for Always.
And as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.
Robert Munsch
No comments:
Post a Comment