picadilly

Monday, September 12, 2016

Fireworks!

Fireworks, lets talk about them. What a reminder they are. They are a force to be reckoned with as they defy everyday boundaries, sprinkle color on a normally monotone canvas, they are bright, shocking, and you want them to last forever...usually.

Sometimes fireworks appear when its not the 4th of July, or New Years Eve. Sometimes, they show up to celebrate a sweet baby that is demanding the last drop of strength that your veins can give them....to help them grow. Yes, isn't fireworks a better way to think about you know, the network of veins that are now ever present on some large area of your legs!!

When sweet William provided me with a muted firework display on both legs during his stay at my innside...I was diligent with my compression hose (despite one of the hottest Louisiana summers on record, EVER). I was determined to keep those fireworks in the sky and not on my monotoned calves. Vanity....we all have it. And sure enough, Will entered the world, giving his own veins a challenge, and released mine back to normal duty. Show over, it was a great finale, happy ending to that story.
Then, my sweet fourth baby, my third son, my darling Steven...decided he, too, needed my veins to pull from their deepest tiny branches to help him grow. But wait, only on one leg, but double the work for that sweet leg. I have no control over what each baby requests of me, and my veins graciously answered the call without my "permission". Wow! It was a show! All the colors you could imagine, big, small, all over the canvas. I bought stronger compression hose because sometimes putting on a show of this caliber is a little uncomfortable. I wore them religiously, but now vanity was starting to take a back seat.

You see, I saw a mom at the Kirkwood pool, chasing her little one around the Pirate Playground in the water, she has her own fireworks show going on, and you know what...I respect her. She earned that show. She put that show on, right there at the pool, without any hesitation, or at least it seemed that way to me. She doesn't see it everyday, well if she showers everyday she might...but who has time for daily showers anymore, a-hem.... I respect her. I am proud of her for leaving vanity in the parking lot, consciously or unconsciously, and bringing her fireworks to the pool with her so she can enjoy the fields with her flock.

And lately, I feel that same way. Yes, vanity sneaks in to remind you that the fireworks are still visible through the sassy sheer black hose your wearing with your fancy dress to the once a year dressy occasion. But, I took the time to shower that night, and had to apply make up and do my hair so I don't have long to worry about it. And really, I don't care much right now. I earned that show with a badge of 4 kiddos to show for it. I respect my body and all it has done for me. And I'd do it again. They may draw spectators, and there are always the "bah-humbug fireworks are awful" people. Well, they can go cover their eyes and walk away.

Hopefully, I can keep vanity in its place, whatever that will mean for my future and my fireworks. And for all my fellow mamas that put on their own show be it veins or elsewhere, this is for you, too. The show goes on and we worked hard to earn the rights to that show, put it on with a smile ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment