http://www.today.com/parents/mom-survey-says-three-most-stressful-number-kids-6C9774150
Have you read this article? The one that states that moms with 4 or more kids are the least stressed and that moms of 3 are the most stressed? Google it.
What do I think? Well, I'm only two months into my job as mom of 4. And to be honest, I didn't feel "most stressed" as a mom of 3. My hardest personal transition was becoming a mom of 2, but I believe, for me anyway, that the difficulty came from them being only 16 months apart! But that's another post entirely, as a mom of 4, I now feel less stressed, honestly, I do!
Why you ask? Well because Grace had a birthday party while Steven was just 8 weeks old, at our house, with new friends and old!
Because Jack had a school program that I had to reserve seats for hours in advance.
Because Grace had a dance recital in an auditorium full of people and I had to get there early for the best seats!
Because we hosted 2 sets of Grandparents and a Great Grandma in those first two months of Steven's life.
Because we had an end of the year girl scout party...
An end of school bash at the preschool...
A trip to the ER...
and the plastic surgeon...
went to swim lessons and realized Will didn't have shoes or shorts on once we were there! and on and on
and excuse me you say...LESS stressed?
Why YES! Because with all of that...who has time to worry about anything else? I mean it. I let the grandparents help in any way they wanted without trying to show anyone a good time...in fact, I didn't cook one time for any of them! I hosted Grace's birthday party at our house and barely picked up the house! I didn't even clean off the counters 100%! And do you know what? No one cared!! Grace had a fantastic time, the kids had fun, and that's what the goal was in the first place! And will I remember that I showed up late to a girl scout party? No, I'll remember we went. Will Grace worry I forgot to put make up on to go to her recital? NO! She's just glad I was there. Did I care that Will was less than half dressed to head to swim lessons? nope, I was thrilled that the two big kids were doing so well in swim lessons.
You see, in the last 2 months, what's really important has become more visible. I imagine that with 4 or more kids, there is a lot of "important" stuff in each of their lives and, therefore, in mine. I have to trust that my friends are my friends because I don't have time to fool with them if they're not. If someone doesn't like my cluttered counters, sorry. If someone is irritated I'm late more often than not...too bad, I'm just glad we made it at all! If someone thinks I'm a hot mess, lugging 4 kids to SAM's on a Sunday, well, I see it more as an accomplishment. I just don't have time to worry about what anyone else may think, my friends are truly my friends, my laundry and dishes and clutter will be there whether I don't do it or whether I do...so I keep up the best I can, and enjoy my family all the rest of the day.
In the end, I don't think moms of three have to be the most stressed...but with each additional kiddo, you have less time to worry about being perfect for everything all the time. You just can't be and you become ok with that, and then the stress cloud lifts off your shoulders.
I love my big family. I love that its always a bustling household with lots going on. My life is full in more ways than one and I wouldn't want it any other way. I am so, so blessed. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment